Back pain is a condition that affects the quality of life of people from almost all age groups. It can be a result of injury, muscle pull, disc dislocation or damage, and senile conditions like osteoporosis. There are two types of back pain, acute and chronic. For its treatment, you can consult an orthopedic surgeon in lahore.
Back pain is common in all age groups. Children and adolescents can get it as a result of injury or conditions like scoliosis and people from older age groups can get it from degenerative disc diseases and conditions like osteoporosis. Let’s discuss the causes of back pain in detail and the ways to treat it.
Causes of Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain and it may be localized to the middle region or lower back region depending upon the source of the pain. Different causes of back pain are
* Back sprain or spasm which is the most common cause
* Strained muscles or ligaments
* Back injury including fracture of the back
* Damaged or degenerated discs
* Ruptured discs
* Conditions like osteoarthritis and advanced osteoporosis
* Kidney problems because conditions like kidney stones may have pain radiating to the back
* Poor posture
* Infections of the spine
* Cancer of the spine
Risk Factors of Back Pain
People who are more susceptible to back pain are
* Pregnant women
* An occupation that involves heavy weight lifting or long periods of lying on the back
* A sedentary lifestyle
* Old age
* Strenuous activity like lifting heavy weights suddenly
* Genetic disorders
* Medical conditions like osteoarthritis
Diagnosis of Back Pain
Back pain is diagnosed by the doctor after taking a detailed history and performing a thorough physical examination. Usually, back pain is diagnosed like this if it is something as simple as a muscle sprain. In other cases, tests are advised which include X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, bone scans, etc.
Treatment of Back Pain
1. Over-the-counter medication
Most of the time back pain is a result of bad posture and muscle sprain and can be relieved by over-the-counter pain medication like acetaminophen or aspirin. Other times stronger painkillers are needed like in case of fractures or disc problems.
In addition to oral medication, topical creams, and gels soothe the muscle and help with back pain as well.
Even stronger medications such as muscle relaxants, steroids, antidepressants, and opioids may be needed depending upon the severity of the situation.
Surgery may be needed for back pain caused by conditions like disc prolapse and fractures. People with severe pain, structural alterations like scoliosis, and conditions where the nerves are pressed are considered for surgery.
3. Other methods
Methods other than medication and surgery are also considered depending upon the condition causing the back pain, especially chronic back pain. These methods are
* TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) therapy
* Massage therapy by a specialist
* Cognitive behavior therapy
* Relaxation techniques
4. Home remedies
For conditions like simple back pain or chronic back pain, home remedies give short-term relief. These include
* Cold and Heat therapy. Cold therapy includes ice therapy which involved wrapping ice in a cloth and placing it on the affected area. This soothes the inflammation and helps to relieve the pain. Warm compresses help to relax the muscles and improve blood circulation. Taking a warm bath also helps.
* Improving your posture helps to relieve back pain associated with poor posture. Sitting straight with back support helps to improve posture.
* Try changing your mattress to a straight firm one to help with back pain. Sleeping in a bad position also aggravates back pain.
Back pain may be acute or chronic depending upon the source of the back pain. Back pain is usually preventable by a few simple precautions but if you develop back pain it may be difficult to treat it. This depends on the source of the back pain. There are many ways to treat your back pain and a better active and healthy lifestyle helps to control your pain and improve your quality of life. For further help you can visit an orthopedic surgeon in Islamabad.