One of the most frequently asked questions we get is about the legality of quad bike and if they are road legal ready to ride or off road recreational bikes. The difference is:
Road Legal Quad Bikes –
• All UK Road Legal Bikes must have a Registration Certificate or V5 as it is known. A vehicle without a V5 is not suitable for road use and should not be used on public highways.
• Not all factory fitted lighting systems will comply with UK MOT standards. This is due, in most cases, to non-availability of switching systems for side, main and high beams.
• Standard exhaust systems may not always comply with harmonic legislation as the bike is designed for off-road use only.
• On a safety level, some fuel tanks do not comply with UK road regulations. This is again due to the construction of the tank and the materials used.
• If you want to convert an off-road machine into a road-legal quad bike, it must first go through the ministry’s tests for homologation and SVA certification.
• Once the bike is tested, it must be retested every three years thereafter at an approved Ministry of Transport testing station.
Quad bikes used on UK roads must have engine output limited to 18bhp before being tested for homologation and SVA certificates.
• To ride on UK public roads you must have a standard UK car driving license which means you cannot drive a road legal quad bike unless you are 17 years old.
• Road legal tires are required for quad bike tour to be used on UK roads. They can be identified by the small “CE” logo on the tire’s outer wall.
• It is no longer mandatory to wear crash helmets on the road from the day this article was published. That being said, we always recommend that you wear a crash helmet at all times for safety reasons.
• Some road legal quad bikes and ATVs are compatible for use by more than one person. This means that only a few machines can legally carry passengers even though they all have double seats.
• Once a quad bike or ATV is legally registered for the road, you must have a public quad bike insurance policy before taking it.
For your own safety it is always advisable to get the necessary training on how to handle a quad bike or ATV. If you should be buying a new or used quad bike or ATV from an authorized dealer in the UK, most of them will recommend that you check your machine before taking it on your first trip. Where can you get lessons and training?
It is always advisable to take some form of training. Then, once you’ve completed the course, you’ll be much stronger mentally about how to ride and what the legislation is at the moment.
Did you find this article useful?
If you did, please feel free to rate this article so others can see at a glance what we have to offer the Quad Bike and ATV market. My Quad Bike LTD is a new website for those interested in the industry. Please feel free to tell others about the site and there is a contact page on the website if you want to contact us for any reason.
Over the next few months we will be building relationships with suppliers of all services related to the Quad Bike Safari industry. If you are one of these services and would like to contact us regarding advertising or listing with us, please visit the main site above where you will find the relevant details. We hope you enjoyed our article, and we look forward to you visiting the site for more in-depth articles on not only road legal quad bikes, news, reviews and product testing.